Share A Smile is a Michigan-based non-profit charitable organization founded in 1999 to meet the unmet needs of ordinary citizens struggling with financial crisis, due to unemployment, health crisis, or natural disaster.
We pride ourselves on our ability to respond quickly to requests for help from neighbors in need, and our unique programs such as Winter Warmth, Back to School, and Holiday Smiles that work to meet urgent needs in our communities.
The work of Share A Smile has been endorsed by other nonprofits such as Lighthouse Emergency Services, the Judson Center, Care House, the YWCA of Greater Flint, the Womens Center of Lansing, and the Blue Water Center for Independent Living. We are proud to work with these agencies to create a brighter future for the people of our community who turn to us for help.
Our work in the communities we serve is made possible by our loyal and energetic volunteers and generous and consistent donors who work by our side.
Our charitable organization is organized to serve people in need in two ways:
- By providing direct assistance through bill payment to individuals and families struggling to obtain the basic needs of life.
- Creating and funding programs targeted at serving specific needs in the communities we serve.
Share A Smile focuses its efforts on helping
- Women in transition (those fleeing domestic violence or reentering the work force due to the death of a spouse or divorce)
- Special needs children
- Chronic or terminally ill people
- People with disabilities
- Any individual or family struggling to maintain or obtain their basic human needs such as shelter, warmth, clothing, medication, or utilities
Many of the individuals and families who seek assistance from Share A Smile are experiencing economic hardship for the first time in their lives – due to illness, unemployment, or natural disaster – and do not know where to turn.
Share A Smile works with other nonprofits in the community whose missions and clients served parallel ours and receives referrals from these agencies on behalf of their clients.
The volunteers, Board of Directors and staff of Share A Smile are committed to pursuing these management principles:
- Recognize and fulfill our obligations of accountability to the public and to the charitable intent of our leadership, donors and volunteers
- Establish a clear, logical and consistent grant making process
- Communicate openly, respectfully and in a timely manner with our public partners, donors and grant applicants
- Recognize and respond to the changing societal conditions and issues facing the communities and people we serve
- Review, assess and evaluate our operations, procedures and results of our giving efforts on an annual basis
- Recognize the need for confidentiality in communicating and storing information about funding recipients and donors
Share A Smile is dedicated to helping individuals and families facing financial struggles due to circumstances occuring beyond their control (such as illness and natural disaster).
It is not the norm for us to fund requests for overdue mortgage payments, moving expenses, cable television service, credit card debt, purchasing automobiles, property tax or home improvement (windows,doors,fences), or the programs of other nonprofit organizations, political campaigns or sponsorships of other fund raising events.
Our focus centers on helping individuals and families with:
- Emergency needs and short-term bill payment for monthly or unexpected expenses
- Children with special needs
- Individuals with disabilities
- Women in transition (those reentering the work force as a result of divorce or victims of domestic violence)
- Individuals (adults and children) suffering from chronic or terminal illness
Specific annual requests can include:
- Holiday events for children
- Winter warmth fund that provides winter weather clothing and supplies for children
- Additional supplies for children in qualified school districts